4.8.08

the list.

Less than a month left... it's go time. Time to make The List... of all the things I still want to do before heading back to the States.

Yogalicious Yoga is one of my passions at home, and although I did attempt to pack my mat, its 2.5 lbs in my suitcase was just too precious. I found a yoga studio in Sanlitun that offers classes in English and Chinese and your first class is only 50 RMB (about 7 USD). It's something I've missed dearly, so I'm excited to cross this one off the list... hopefully tomorrow.

DressMeUp After some searching today, Chris and I found this really good tailor shop where you can get suits made for less than 150 USD. Although we went because he wanted a suit, as soon as I walked in, a lady grabbed me, "You need dress?" Um, yes. I would love a dress. She told me to bring in a picture of what I wanted... and it could be done. I'm going in armed with ideas and ready for a custom dress.

Olympicize I'm sure you've all seen photos of the Bird's Nest and Water Cube. Those are just two of the venues, but the most high profile because of their designs. I've ridden past them, but haven't gotten close enough for good pictures. I want to get over there before 8.8.08 (only a few days away!) and check them out.

SayGoodmorning At Temple of Heaven Park, if you get there around 6am you will see the park filled with people practicing TaiChi, dancing and other early-morning Chinese recreation. Then the park opens up the temples where, according to tradition, are highly connected with the Earth and Heaven. Sounds like something my inner Earth-child hippie would love.

ArtsyFartsy There is an art district in Beijing known as 798. It's housed in old warehouses and the like, with all kinds of galleries and exhibitions. Some others have been there and say it's really something to see. I'm hoping to walk away with some original art.

SingToMe Live music anyone? I've read about a few seedy bars that have live bands on occasion. I'd love to check them out. Chinese music is pretty sparse compared to how much American music is poured into this country. In fact, a friend at work let me share her mp3 player with her and the first song that came on was Busta Rhymes. Can you imagine? Here I think I'm going to get a taste of Chinese music and Busta just starts bustin'.

BikeDay Three other Purdue students rented bikes for the day and it was apparently the funniest, most daring adventure they've had so far. I'm next in line. Beijing is very much designed for bikes... lots of alleys along streets that make it easy to ride. Now I know I'm no smooth criminal on a bike, in fact I might die trying to navigate (bikes are actually tossed right into the mix on streets as well... cars, busses, bikes, mayhem), but I'm willing to try. And I want to mount a camera to the handlebars and film my clumsy ride through the streets of this city.

ThankYouCanIHaveAnother I think everyone else on this trip has gone and gotten massages. They're super cheap here, and why wouldn't you want to take advantage of that? I have yet to enjoy a Chinese person working their magic on my shoulders, but I'm not leaving until I do.

I have left getting an Asian haircut off the list, though it may get put back on depending on how frustrated I get with my current mop of hair. I know if it happens, it will be on a whim and you'll all only find out after the fact. Muhahah.

I think these things will really round out my trip. Most of them are on the lower end of the "I'm a Tourist" continuum. I think because I no longer feel like a tourist here. Strangely enough, it's feeling like home. I rather enjoy that.

3 comments:

mom said...

I hope it doesn't feel too much like home...I want you back! :)

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, the night before last we rented the movie "Bucket List". Your "to do" list is much better :)

Anonymous said...

I will hold off on cutting my hair if you hold off on yours. By the way, I have super blonde waves now from all the Spanish sol. Great list too babes.